Miriam: a Canadian teacher in El Vern for a day



Miriam: a Canadian teacher in El Vern for a day


We have recently had a visitor from Canada, an English teacher Miriam. She came to Barcelona area to visit some schools and take home some great ideas to improve her teaching.

We had the opportunity to speak to her and this is what she told us:



Tell us about yourself: what do you do for a living and what do you do in your free time
I have been a high school (Grades 10-12) English Language Arts teacher at Harry Ainlay High School since 2001. Prior to that, I taught ELA, Social Studies, and ELL (English Language Learning) at two junior high schools (Grades 7-9) . Due to my teaching assignment, I spend a big chunk of my time evaluating ELA assignments. For fun, I am interested in travel, finding great places to eat, photography, a bit of container flower gardening, and spending time with family and friends whenever I can.


What did you do during your day in El Vern? 
On the day I was at El Vern, I observed seven different classes and looked at the various displays in your school hallways and walls. I was able to observe both English language classes and one Spanish literature class. I was impressed at how you integrate what you are learning in the classrooms with what you display throughout your school hallways, classrooms, and doorways.

What is the biggest surprise you had when you visited El Vern?
I was quite nicely surprised by the population size of your school. Your school has a stronger community orientation to it compared to my school. That's probably largely because we currently have 2743 students comprising of Grades 10-12 at Harry Ainlay High School. 



If it was possible, would you come to work in El Vern?

I would definitely consider working at El Vern if it was possible. I enjoyed the small town community atmosphere at El Vern. 

What suggestion would you give to El Vern students?
I would encourage the students to continue to capitalize on the advantages of being in a school that has the small town atmosphere that prevails at El Vern. Your school offers some specialized opportunities for everyone to succeed. It was my pleasure to see first hand a few of the various programs targeted at various student profiles who excel in their own unique way.
Find your niche, set your goals, and do everything you can to figure out a way to get there. If you're not successful the first time around, find another way and ask others around who have knowledge and access to resources to help you achieve your goals. 


Thank you so much for making me feel at home at your school during my very short visit there. 




We would like to thank her for her visit and for being so open to meet all of us!


Come back soon! 😁